Curacha is famous in Mindanao, especially in Zamboanga. It’s a spanner crab or red frog crab, a crustacean hybrid native to the waters of Zamboanga and Sulu. It can be cooked with sauce or steamed.
- 1 kilo curacha (redfrog crab or spanner crab)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt or rock salt
- 1 cup sprite or 7-Up
- How to cook Halabos na Curacha:
- Wash the curacha in running water and use toothbrush to clean the shells if necessary. Drain.
- Put the curacha in a cooking pot or medium size wok. Sprinkle with salt, pour the sprite or 7-up and butter.
- Bring to a boil than simmer until the curacha is cooked and almost all the liquid has evaporated.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve.