Satti is a popular breakfast food in Mindanao particularly in Zamboanga. It’s actually three small bits of meat (beef and chicken liver) grilled in a stick similar to a barbecue, only it is served along with rice balls swimming in a sweet spicy sauce.
First of all, we’re going to list the ingredients you need to make satti sauce:
- ½ cup siling labuyo or catumbal
- 5 thumb size ginger pieces
- 4 thumb size turmeric
- 1 fist size onion bulb
- 6 leaves of oregano, or 1 tsp oregano powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tomato
- ½ cup corn starch
- ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 15 g Anito powder
- 3-4 chicken cubes
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 inches taro root
Now let’s get down to business and give you the recipe for satti sauce:
- Boil water 6 quarts.
- Add taro root to it.
- Add 3-4 chicken cubes, ¼ cup coconut milk and 2 tsp curry powder to it.
- Keep stirring while the mixture boils.
- Blend together ½ cup siling labuyo or catumbal, 5 thumb size ginger pieces, 4 thumb size turmeric, 1 fist size onion bulb and oregano. You may add a little water to begin the blend.
- Mix ½ cup corn starch, ½ cup flour, 1 ½ cup sugar, 1 tbsp salt and 15 g Anito powder, add water and stir until the mixture is free of lumps.
- Sauté tomato and shrimp paste with a little oil, and then add the mixture of siling labuyo or catumbal, ginger, turmeric, onion and oregano to it. Keep sautéing until the mixture becomes partially dried.
- Pour this mixture into the water that has boiled
- Stir and add coconut milk.
- Add the mixture of corn starch, flour, sugar, salt and Anito powder to it.
- Add water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Let it cook for 20 minutes on medium flame.
- Keep stirring frequently to avoid any sticking on the pot.
- If you want the sauce to be less thick, you can add water.
- Let it cool for 2 minutes and then serve.
- The satti sauce you have made this way can be refrigerated for later use. You need to microwave it for 3-4 minutes whenever you want to use it.